Monday, November 26, 2012

OER


Open education resources are using modern technology in the best way possible.  OER's are educational resources published online for anyone to use.  They are often free and as this article says, many come from educational institutions.  There are so many benefits to OER.  It is instant access to vast amounts of reputable information.  It allows people who can't go to those insitutions or talk directly to experts to access their knowledge.  Before I read 7 Things You Should Know About OER I had heard about these resources but I learned a lot about the vast quantities of open educational resources out there.

I began looking into OER's that will be beneficial to me.  When I was in middle school I had a serious issue with bringing home books for homework.  I left them at school all the time and thus could not complete my work and then suffered the consequences.  Open education resources often included textbooks that are completely online that would eliminate this problem. This algebra book is actually one I have seen in a classroom.
As a student now there are times when I feel that the resources given in classes just do not explain a given topic accurately. Also some teachers offer biased points of view.  For example my philosophy teacher presents everything from a very Catholic standpoint, and admits it.  This course from M.I.T. talks about similar topics but from another point of view.  I feel that it helps me see perspective.\
Finally as a future teacher I can use these resources to go beyond the materials my school can offer me.  I may teach in a school that doesn't have the budget to buy new books or there are gaps that need filled in a curriculum.  Or maybe a student just needs extra help. Resources such as this one can help me in my endevors as a teacher.

This site from Penn State offers up their resources as part of an initiative. PSU Open Education Resources. This site tells you about top OER sites and materials. Finally this site seems good for elementary education teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment